Battery powered lawn mowers are growing in popularity with many people being more concerned with the safety of the planet. However, there are several reasons why a battery powered mower is a good choice. It is important that you understand what you are getting into with a battery mower before you buy one.
We are going to give you a list of not only the pros of battery powered lawn mowers but also the cons and even some information no one else is going to tell you. Because we do not work for a lawn mower company, we are able to be brutally honest and tell it like we see it. So here goes.
- Environmentally friendly
- Quieter than the gas powered lawn mowers
- Easy to recharge. Some models have batteries that are removable to make it even easier to recharge
- Options are similar to those in gas powered lawn mowers
- Terrain needs to be flat or almost flat in order to properly mow without having to struggle with the mower.
- Battery life on one charge is enough to do about 1/3 of an acre before needing to be charged again.
- With a removable battery, if you have another battery (cost $150 range) you can continue mowing while charging a battery.
- Removable batteries are heavy.
- Some battery mowers are heavy to push and can take a toll on a persons back.
- Many times you will find the blade size is smaller than that of a gas powered lawn mower.
Although the battery powered lawn mowers are environmentally friendly, they fail to perform like a gas mower. Gas mowers have more power behind them. If your lawn is normally well groomed and fairly small, a battery powered lawn mower could be the right option for you. However, if you have a little more land and tend to hold off on mowing your lawn a little longer you could struggle using the battery powered mower.
It is important that you keep in mind the best size blade to have on your mower, whether battery or gas powered is 20 inches. This size cuts more grass on each pass and even with considering the overpass of about 2 inches you are still cutting more grass each time than with any other blade size.